Every 28 days, your skin replaces itself.
Your liver, 5 months.
Your bones, 10 years.
Your body makes these cells from the food you eat.
What you eat literally becomes you.
You have a choice in what you are made of.
From my heart to yours,
Do you ever use an onion soup mix? I love how convenient those little packets are. Think Lipton Onion Soup Mix.
They are a super easy peasy way to add flavor to a recipe. What I don’t love is the added sugar. I have to be careful about the sugar I consume so I wanted to come up with an onion soup mix I could keep in my spice cabinet that didn’t include sugar. I also wanted a handy mix that had only ingredients I recognize and can pronounce.
Off to the kitchen to experiment. After playing around with some different recipes I came up with one that really does the job and does not include sugar. Or any yucky stuff like MSG.
This recipe is a little different than most you will find because this one includes turmeric. There are so many health benefits to incorporating this into your diet. My doc wants me to consume it for the anti-inflammatory benefits. This is a great mix to keep around that is easy, tasty, and healthy.
So, let’s get to it!
How to Make the Onion Soup Mix:
This will take you all of five minutes. Maybe ten if your spices like to all fall out of the cabinet when you open the door. Not that this happens to me.
- First, go grab a pint mason jar. I like to double the recipe and it fits perfectly.
- Next pour in 2/3 cup of dried minced onion. Optional: smell that glorious oniony smell. Is “oniony” a word? Let’s say yes.
- 3 teaspoons parsley flakes are next….or 1 tablespoon… Same thing
- 2 teaspoons each of onion powder and turmeric. Optional: admire the beautiful deep color of that turmeric. Gorgeous.
- 1 teaspoon each of the salts: sea salt and celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
Now, the fun part:
- Put the lid on the jar and shake, shake, shake it like a Polaroid picture. Secretly applaud yourself for getting in your cardio for the day.
- Finally, bask in your culinary genius.
4 tablespoons of this baby just about equals a packet of the soup.
Optional Step: spend half an hour on Pinterest searching “how to make labels for mason jars”. Get sucked in by all the pretty downloads. Ooohhh….aaahhhhh….. Debate with yourself about redoing all the stuff in your pantry with cute matching labels. Remind yourself that “ain’t nobody got time for this” and give up and just type something real quick in word while consoling yours that some day…some day… You will have matchy-matchy color coordinated labels and baskets in your pantry. And, it is so gonna rock!
What can you use this for?
How about…Pot Roast, Meatloaf, Onion Soup Dip, Hamburgers, Beef Stroganoff, Pork Chops, Cabbage Soup, Roasted Potatoes, Hamburger Steaks….